Sunday, November 28, 2010

ICBC: Pudding

Oh my. Was my last post really in July? Eeep. I knew I was slacking but didn't realize it was this bad. Sorry my legions of fans.

My grand return to the ICBC was pudding. But I think I cheated on this one. You see, as I went through the various websites searching for "pudding recipes," I kept seeing results for bread pudding. Bread pudding, bread pudding - it intrigued me. I had only had the dessert once, at Crackers & Co. in Mesa (please make that your breakfast stop if you're in the area, it's on Country Club, just southwest of the US-60) and it was amazing. So I finally couldn't resist and fudged on the secret ingredient a bit. Bread pudding it is.

I was amazed by just how many eggs and butter this took. I also forgot to add the butter (it was a surprise in the microwave the next day), so I'm not sure what impact it had on the texture. Overall it was tasty, but seemed very close to french toast in taste. I think I'll experiment some more, because while it was tasty, it wasn't thrilling. And a lot of the finished product ended up (sadly) in the trash, as no one really wanted to help me eat it. 

I think the key is that I didn't use "stale" bread, and so it became more soupy. I'd be curious if people had better luck with this.

Do please note how this recipe describes the "doneness" of the pudding, by the way.

Butterscotch Bread Pudding

Ingredients
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) loaf day-old bread, torn into small pieces
  • 4 cups milk
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup butterscotch chips

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  2. In a large bowl, combine bread, milk, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla and butterscotch chips; mixture should be the consistency of oatmeal. Pour into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven 1 hour, until nearly set. (It should have a "thigh wiggle" or wiggle as much as a well endowed thigh.) Serve warm or cold.









1 comments:

Create. Snap. Eat. said...

Do you have a photo?! I would love to see it! And welcome back :-)